1. Weaning Management of beef calves; Barbi A. Riggs1, Chad J. Mueller2, and Reinaldo Cooke3
2. Weaning management of beef calves with implications for animal health and welfare ; Eilish Lyncha, Mark McGeeb and Bernadette Earleya
Fulton et al. 2002. Can. J. Vet. Res. 66:173-180. Gardner et al. 1999. J. Anim. Sci. 77:3168-3175. Haley et al. 2005. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2205-2214. McNeill 1999. Texas A&M. ASWeb-026.
4. Haley DB, Bailey DW, Stookey JM. 2005. The effects of weaning beef calves in two stages on their behavior and growth rate. J Anim Sci. 83:2205–2214.
5. Boland HT, Scaglia G, Swecker Jr WS, Burke NC. 2008. Effects of alternate weaning methods on behaviour, blood metabolites, and performance of beef calves. Prof Anim Sci. 24:539–551
6. Stookey JM, Schwartzkopt-Genswin KS, Watts JM. 1997. Effects of remote and contact weaning on behaviour and weight gain of beef calves. J Anim Sci. 75:83.
7. Price EO, Harris JE, Borgwardt RE, Sween ML, Connor JM. 2003. Fenceline contact of beef calves with their dams at weaning reduces the negative effects of separation on behaviour and growth rate. J Anim Sci. 81:116– 121.
8. Newberry RC, Swanson JC. 2008. Implications of breaking mother-young social bonds. Appl Anim Behav Sci. 110:3–23.
9. Walker KH, Fell LR, Reddacliff LA, Kilgour RJ, House JR, Wilson SC, Nicholls PJ. 2007. Effects of yard weaning and training on the behavioural adaptation of cattle to a feedlot. Livest Sci. 106:210–217.
10. Fell D, Derbyshire DR, Maile CJ, Larsson IM, Ellis R, Achola KJ, Smith G. 1985. Measurement of plasma catecholamine concentrations: as assessment of anxiety. Br J Anaesth. 57:770–774.
11. Reference ‘Producing and processing quality beef from Australian cattle herds – Industry outcomes of the Cooperative Research Centre for the Cattle and Beef Industry (Meat Quality) 1993–2000’. P. Dundon, B. Sundstrom, R. Gaden.
12. Haley DB, Bailey DW, Stookey JM. 2005. The effects of weaning beef calves in two stages on their behavior and growth rate. J Anim Sci. 83:2205–2214.
13. Effect of weaning strategy on cow BCS during different phases; at early weaning, traditional weaning, and winter feeding. Adapted from Merril et al. (2008).
14. Pate, F. M., and J. R. Crockett. 2002. Value of Preconditioning Beef Calves. University of Florida Extension. Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. BUL 799. Gainesville, FL.
15. Heifer fertility and carry over consequences for life time production in dairy and beef cattle 1† 1 1 2 3 D. C. Wathes , G. E. Pollott , K. F. Johnson , H. Richardson and J. S. Cooke animal 1Department of Production and Population Health, Royal Veterinary College, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hatfield, Herts, AL9 7 TA, UK; 2Centre for Dairy Information, Scotsbridge House, Scots Hill, Rickmansworth, Herts, WD3 3BB, UK; 3Volac, Orwell, Royston, Herts, SG8 5QX, UK (Received 29 October 2013; Accepted 10 March 2014; First published online 3 April 2014)
16. Le Cozler Y, Lollivier V, Lacasse P and Disenhaus C 2008. Rearing strategy and optimizing first-calving targets in dairy heifers: a review. Animal 2, 1393–1404.
17. Tsuruta S, Misztal I and Lawlor TJ 2005. Changing definition of productive life in US Holsteins: effect on genetic correlations. Journal of Dairy Science 88, 1156–1165.
18. Randel RD and Welsh TH 2013. Joint Alpharma-Beef Species Symposium: interactions of feed efficiency with beef heifer reproductive development. Journal of Animal Science 91, 1323–1328.
19. Jagannatha S, Keown JF and Van Vleck LD 1998. Estimation of relative economic value for herd life of dairy cattle from profile equations. Journal of Dairy Science 81, 1702–1708.
20. Cundiff LV. The effect of future demand on production programs-biological versus product antagonisms. In: Beef improvement federation proc. Lexington (KY): 1986. p 110–27.
21. Short RE, Staigmiller RB, Bellows RA, et al. Breeding heifers at one year of age: biological and economic considerations. In: Proc. 39th Annu. Beef Cattle Short Course. Gainesville (FL): University of Florida; 1990. p. 93–106.
22. Kress DD, Burfening PJ. Weaning weight related to subsequent most probable producing ability in Hereford cows. J Anim Sci 1972;35:327–35.
23. Johnsson ID, Obst JM. The effects of level of nutrition before and after eight months of age on the subsequent milk production and calf yield of beef heifers over three lactations. Anim Prod 1984;38:57–68.
25. The effects of alternative weaning methods on behaviour in beef calves D.H. Enríquez a, R. Ungerfeld b, G. Quintans c, A.L. Guidoni d, M.J. Hötzel ;Livestock Science 128 (2010) 20–27
26. Minimising the stress of weaning of beef calves: A review Article in Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica · May 2011
I progressi nella genetica assieme alle migliorate pratiche di gestione dell’allevamento hanno portato a un aumento significativo delle dimensioni delle nidiate di suini; tuttavia, ciò è stato accompagnato da un aumento del numero di suinetti che presentano un basso peso alla nascita e di quelli potenzialmente non vitali, in gran parte a causa del ritardo della crescita intrauterina. Ciò si riflette anche in bassi pesi allo svezzamento e performance produttive inferiori.